I love a great checklist that inspires fun, pleasure and adventure. I also it when the experiences open me up to new memories, great stories and bring a bit more something-something to my day.
When I first became a single mom and my kids first started doing days and overnights with their dad, I wandered slightly aimlessly not exactly knowing what to do with myself, with all of the perceived time that I now had on my own.
Of course, there were things to do… that mama-do list really never ends, but I needed a different list. Lists that were fun, seasonal, uncomplicated, a little bit luxurious and just plain cool. I was looking for something like that.
Here’s that list…. for fall. Know of something else cool to do? Let me know in the comments.
- Explore your local Arboretum (Dallas’ is gorgeous).
- Enjoy a picnic by the lake, and if you are lucky, watch a movie in said park a la The Wedding Planner.
- Scour your closet for items that you no longer love and donate them.
- Find a new fall beverage, savor, drink and love it. (Ascension and Starbucks have my heart.)
- Take a pottery class.
- Knit or crochet a super scarf.
- Upgrade your cozy pajamas to something fabulous in a dreamy flannel, creamy cotton or smooth satin.
- Light your fireplace.
- Make exotic s’mores with dark chocolate, homemade vanilla marshmallows and toasted coconut.
- Find a local winery, and ask the sommelier to try a glass of a hidden treasure vintage.
- Bake rainy day cookies with ginger or cinnamon. (These palmiers by Ina Garten rock!)
- Charter a boat and take a moonlit cruise. (This one is stellar.)
- Make a recipe from a new cookbook.
- Treat yourself to a new candle and deliciously new novel.
- Wear sultry lingerie in the fiery shades of fall under your everyday wardrobe.
- Make dressed up caramel apples and save some for the house and gift others to the neighbors.
- Set a lusciously seasoned crockpot wonder in the morning so that it is ready by the of the day.
- Indulge in a self-care day complete with massage, mani-pedi and facial.
- Wake up and stretch like the goddess that you are.
- Make a spread of appetizers and partake in a binge-watch fest of something fun on Netflix.
- Dress your space for fall with cozy accessories, creamy candles and minimize the clutter.
- Plan and execute a fall foliage road trip and see all the colors of the season.
- Go Apple Picking or pick your own pumpkin for your fall celebrations.
- Spend a Saturday afternoon watching College Football while eating a big pot of something comforting.
- Bake pear bread.
- Go horseback riding or take a horse drawn carriage ride.