Yesterday I was gushing to my beau, NYScorpio about Nebraska Furniture Mart coming to Texas and he had never heard of this furniture company. Most people have never heard of them. I knew about them when they were bought by Berkshire Hathaway and I had visited their store in Kansas City. At one time I moonlighted at a big electronics retailer in home theaters sales selling $40K systems and so I was familiar with Nebraska Furniture Mart for their great prices as well as their service. In Texas we didn’t have to worry about price matching them because they weren’t here in Texas yet.
When I got a chance to get a sneak peek inside the new store as well as venture around what is to be known as the Grandscape Project near the Colony, I had dreams of a new sofa and recliner for myself as well as what I could do with regards to price matching on electronics and appliances against the likes of Best Buy and other giant retailers. The clincher of possibilities came when my man started moving into his new place and buying up furniture. Unfortunately he can’t wait until Spring to sleep on a bed but he bought brand new bedroom sets, dining areas and a living room set. He sought to decorate with new curtains and finding the right colors to match. I’m big into Feng Shui and astrology when it comes to choosing design colors so considering that he has a lot of Sagittarius I opted that he go with deep purples or burgundy in color blocks to offset some of the basic beige and greys in the furniture he purchased. It was when he said this that really made my eyes grow wide. He said, “My Ex stole all of my furniture.”
I might be getting my old furniture back since my ex stole all of my furniture.
I told you about the crazy ex and so now as I begin to contemplate what is going on he proceeded to explain that he is suing her for his furniture back. I told him it was a waste of time and most ex’s aren’t even worth the energy expended on them. But he’s going to sue and if he gets any of this brand new furniture back I’ll let everyone know so that we can sell it and get her crazy ju-ju off of them. It just gives us more of a reason to buy all brand new stuff at Nebraska Furniture Mart.
Check out this sneak peek from NBC5
Cool Things I like about Nebraska Furniture Mart
1) They are the largest furniture store in the U.S.
2) Competitive Pricing- Each product in store has a digital price tag that updates on a nightly basis checking over 39,000 skus against 18 leading retailers like: Amazon.com, Bestbuy, Home Depot, Kohls, Office Depot, Sams Club, Target, Costco, Kmart, Lowes, Officemax, Sears, Staples and Walmart. The prices change to offer the lowest price. I just went online today and bought Pokemon Art Academy Nintendo 3DS and they were the cheapest online at $28.99 (as of this writing) with other retailers like Amazon selling it for $29 etc all the way up to $36.
3) Much more options all in one place – We go to a furniture store to buy furniture, a hardware store to buy building supplies like flooring, an appliance store for major appliances, and an electronics store for computers and electronics. At Nebraska Furniture Mart they have all of this under one roof. A showroom that offers 560,000 square feet of products along with 1.3 million square feet of holding 200,000 pieces of product in the distribution center and you have a “one-stop shop” for furniture. Quite honestly I’m disappointed they don’t have a food court in the store like Walmarts and most other retailers around here because if you plan on spending a lot of time here for this one stop shop, you’ll get hungry.
4) Visualize the possibilities with the Design Gallery – this is what makes this store very unique is that if you want to design something custom whether you are building a new house or upgrading your current home they offer the design tools you need to “visualize the space.” Use this space to take measurements and see how you can create a unique or custom kitchen or bathroom.
5) Check out their blog for design ideas at blog.nfm.com
6) Fantastic Giveaways – Every month they have great in-store giveaways. This month they are giving away an elliptical and a recliner in their existing stores. I’m sure Texas will have some great giveaways once it opens.
7) “Sell Cheap and Tell the Truth” – the motto of the founder, Rose Blumkin or Mrs. B who started the store with $500 in the basement of her husband’s pawn shop.
Things to do before they open here in North Texas
1) Sign up for their email newsletter or SMS opt-in where you get a coupon just for signing up (I got $10 off on 1 furniture, flooring, appliance or electronics priced at $249 or higher).
2) Sign up for the Nebraska Furniture Mart card – it’s a store only card with special offers, promos and deals for cardmembers. This is going to check your credit. 3) Need a job! Apply and get employee discounts and time off on major holidays along with great benefits.
What they bring to North Texas is more options and great deals. My personal take is that I have always purchased furniture in cash and never on credit as I can easily negotiate deals that way. I never buy furniture on zero percent financing deals since the financing costs are built into the pricing model of the furniture. However, buying on credit is great if you know you will pay it off quickly as it’s good for your credit report. What’s influenced my decision on being loyal to a furniture store is selection, price, convenience, and customer service. I have typically shopped at Stacy Furniture and Weir’s Furniture for all of those reasons so I’m looking forward to what Nebraska Furniture Mart will offer. Check out what my other bloggers had to say about their sneak peek experience. You can also follow the hashtag #NFMSneakPeek on social media for all the latest news or visit their website and check out their prices at nfm.com/
Don’t miss our emails on deals and freebies, click here to subscribe!
Disclaimer: All opinions presented are 100% my own but Nebraska Furniture Mart did give DSM a sneak peek into their store. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.