Moving is stressful, time consuming, and exciting all at the same time. Most of us have zero clue where to start when it comes to packing up all of our items and transporting them easily. If it’s across the state or even to a new state, forget it! If you are in this situation, hold your seatbelt and read along because I am sharing 6 moving tips that you can’t skip over. These will help you tackle your move before you know it!
Make a detailed checklist in the weeks beforehand
Moving usually means creating a whole new inventory of personal items. As you think of items, write down everything – small and large. You will need the simple everyday items such as toilet paper, paper towels (or unpaper towels), a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, cleaning supplies, cooking supplies, and more. But, aside from making a detailed checklist of what you need to get before you move into your new home, you also need to make a detailed checklist of a few other things such as:
1) boxes you are moving & where they go, 2) closing details of your new home, 3) how to turn on (and off) utilities, 4) how to switch over bills to your new address, 5) doctors and other important appointment related places around your new home/area (this includes a school or daycare if you have children), and your moving companies information, if you are using one. I’m sure I am forgetting something, but basically, you want to write down everything from dates, to numbers, and new spots that are important to find before moving day.
Save a few bucks with old furniture or hand-me-downs
Moving is expensive – I know you know that! So, save a few bucks and wait to furnish your home with all new furniture. Use what you already have, or if that doesn’t work (if you are moving into your first place or if your furniture is really old and unusable), ask around for furniture and other household items that your extended family and friends may be looking to get rid of. Almost everyone has a stash of things set aside to be donated eventually. This is a fantastic way to save a few bucks on items that may otherwise just be tossed and can be donated to you!
Get to your new destination early
The earlier you finish moving, the earlier you can relax. I know that closing dates definitely affects this, but the earlier you can start moving, the better. This means: if you get the keys to your new place Friday afternoon, start that night. Most people would wait until the next day (and you might have to wait for the larger items that your movers are tackling for you), but at least start cleaning your new place, moving smaller items, and checking off important to-dos that are on your list.
Pack a Lunch
Unless you plan on taking a break mid-day to eat something that is easy to transport or heat up (potentially without appliances), plan to pack you and your movers a lunch – or order in. Moving is tough work and losing momentum can ruin the flow. You need some energy to get through that kind of exercise. Plus, if you bring lunch with you, you save a couple of bucks and finish faster, too.
Don’t Take What You Don’t Need
Though this sounds like an obvious one, it can sometimes be hard to part with the sentimental stuff. Think hard about what you truly need in your new home – because I bet there is a lot that you do not actually need. Is it going to clutter up your living space? Are you going to use it more often than not? Make your choices wisely!
Enlist Help from Friends and Family
There is nothing better than having friends who will help you move, right? You can pay them in pizza if you decide to do that instead of packing a lunch! Pick only a couple of people though, to work quickly and not overcrowd the area. It’s easier to stay on task when there are just a few good movers to help out. Alternatively, if you want to stress less, you can hire actual professional movers that can get it done much faster than you and your friends will be able to…and without the headache, too. Our Truck Moving is an awesome moving company in the area. They do labor moving Garland TX, piano moving, delivery services, special senior moving, and more. Homeowners and businesses trust Our Truck Moving to offer a full menu of services designed to cater to their every need, with affordable prices and premium customer service. Their starting service area covers the entire Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex area, and expands all throughout Texas. They have great reviews and also give so much valuable information on their site, such as these moving tips that you need to know:
- Measure! Make sure the front door, apartment door, inside doors, and all relevant hallways can accommodate the moving of your furniture.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to pack, do a little each day, starting with art, books and movies, and any off-season items.
- Label boxes with the room they’re going to, that way, you’ll save time and frustration as you start unpacking.
- Pack a suitcase with essentials, including important papers, which you can access immediately, so you’re not hunting around for toothpaste.
Our Truck Moving can help make your move easy and stress-free, so make sure to call them before you start the moving process on your own!