There are many options for choosing the right socks for your newborn. There are a ton of fabrics and colors, and the socks come in all kinds of styles and sizes. Getting your newborn the socks they need is essential, but how can you determine what’s best? Read on to learn the best fabric for your newborn’s socks.
Does My Baby Need Socks?
The short answer: Yes, especially when they’re newborns. Newborn babies tend to move less, making them more prone to cold feet, and chilly feet can result in shortened naps. Getting your newborn a pair of socks also helps regulate their body temperature. This is important since children have a hard time doing this for themselves.
Now that we know why getting socks for your newborn is essential let’s check out some general principles regarding what to look for in these articles of clothing.
There are several things you should consider when you’re buying your newborn’s first pair of socks:
- You need to make sure they’ll stay on. Look for elastic bands or bubble stitches around the ankle area.
- They must be the right size to comfortably fit your child’s feet.
- They need to be soft and durable. Soft socks provide a comfortable buffer against any rough surfaces that can irritate their skin.
- Durability is vital since newborns tend to kick and occasionally bump into things when they fall or become upset.
- When they begin to crawl, non-slip pads are invaluable. It will ensure they don’t slip when they start rocking on their hands and knees while learning how to crawl.
- Socks should be breathable to promote circulation.
Now that we know what to look for in our socks let’s hop into the best fabrics for your child’s needs.
The Best Fabric
It turns out that multiple fabrics are suitable for your newborn’s needs. Wool is perfect for durability and warmth. It also fits snugly on the feet. It’s ideal for winter when evenings can get a bit chilly. Cotton is common but effective. The fabric is breathable, which ensures their feet don’t get too hot, and most cotton socks have elastic around the ankles. Bamboo socks are perfect if you want a more sustainable option. They also are one of the few fabrics that keep your feet cool in summer and warm in winter. It’s breathable and maintains a sense of warmth, making it a fantastic fabric for your newborn’s socks in 2022.
In short, there are a ton of different socks to choose from, and choice matters when you’re trying to keep your child safe and secure. Any of the fabrics above will help you with this. It’s just a matter of choosing the best for your needs. Keep these principles in mind as you shop, and you’ll do fine.